Easter Lemon Cupcake Recipe
These little cupcakes are so easy to make and are perfect all year round. To transform them into Easter cupcakes just do what I did/do and add some Easter pizzazz with some little yellow chicks (non edible), chocolate sprinkles or shavings (edible), and mini chocolate Easter eggs (very edible), and if you’re over 18, a glass of bubbles always goes down a treat with one (or two … it is Easter after all).
The recipe was taken from a book I borrowed from my sister aptly titled ‘Cupcakes’ from a ‘Love Food’ collection and was written by Susanna Tee.
I’ve made these cupcakes numerous times for special occasions and ‘just because’, and they’ve always gone ‘down a treat’. I’ve used different iced toppings, from chocolate to vanilla, (I’ve also cheated and bought the icing pre-made … shhh) but this simple lemon one is light and sweet.
I normally include step by step photographs of my recipe adventure but in this case I’m just including cute photo’s of the end result, because to be honest the recipe really is that simple. What I am including though is the full recipe on a handy recipe card that you can save or print. Enjoy!, and have a very Happy Easter Egg weekend!
- 115g self-raising white flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 115g soft tub margarine
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Finely grated rind of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp milk
- 85g butter, softened
- 175g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 190oC, 375oF, Mark 5.
- Put the paper baking cases in a bun tray.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Add the margarine, sugar, eggs, lemon rind and milk and beat together using an electric hand whisk until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the bun cases, evenly distributed.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15-20mins, or until they are well risen and golden brown.
- Once baked, remove them from the oven and place them on a wire rack to cool.
- Put the butter in a bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Sift in the icing sugar then add the lemon juice.
- Beat together until smooth and creamy.
- If like me you like lots of icing, then make an extra 1/2 portion but make sure you increase all the ingredients e.g. 128g butter | 263g icing sugar | 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Only ice the cupcakes when they are cold.
- To decorate your cupcakes use little Easter chicks, mini Easter eggs or grate chocolate over them.