The DFS Staying Inn with 2LG Studio, London
If you follow The Life of Stuff on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram you’ll remember my escape to London with DFS a couple of weeks ago. I was there to witness in person the creations of Interior Design gurus Jordan Cluroe and Russell Whitehead of 2LG Studio. The theme being The Big Cosy at the DFS Staying Inn. And believe me when I say ‘The very best of a night out with all the cosy comforts of a night in’ – rang true.
To give me a taste of what was in store I received a special Big Cosy catalogue, full of interiors inspiration – take for example this page which was inspired by Spiced Honey the Dulux Colour of the Year (I wonder where you heard all about that first)
Pictured below are the 2 Lovely Gays themselves – looking as lovely and approachable as they were in real life, but more on that a little later.
The Staying Inn was found at Tanner & Co in London – with outdoor cosiness goals achieved before we even stepped inside the inn.
We were greeted with warm smiles, our coats were taken (and given back at the end of the night), and our dinner preferences noted.
Then behind a pair of luxurious curtains we stepped inside the DFS Staying Inn – complete with six specially designed rooms, as well as a welcome and bar and lounge area. Just look at those Trafalgar Grand Sofas in Sapphire Velvet €2,079 – Stunning!
This scene below is part of the welcome area and features the DFS Evie Chaise in Green Velvet €699.
The image on the left gives a glimpse of the Elegant Scandi themed room. The image on the right is the Urban Craft themed room, featuring the aforementioned Spiced Honey on the walls along the DFS Zania €2,349 – I just love that pop of rich maroon colour.
Next up was the Vintage Attic themed room, as seen on the left and featuring the Savina Sofa Bed €599 (I’m considering this as an addition for my own living room – an extra bed would never go astray). And the image on the right gives a hat tip to Italian Luxury, so pretty in pink – the leg detail of the four seater Belucci in slate leather €2599 is definition of stylish elegance.
The Rustic Comfort themed room was exactly so, with the DFS Capsule Calm Wing Chair €629 giving the perfect pop of colour to the space.
But my love has to be the DFS Trafalgar Grand Sofa €2,079, pictured below. I just adore it and the colour. And of course it was found in the The Staying Inn Urban Bar Area, near the kitchen – I swear it was meant to be … for me!
But the night wasn’t all about drooling over beautifully designed furniture in stylishly designed rooms. Because there was plenty of drooling over the delicious dishes designed and delivered by non other than Masterchef 2018 champion Kenny Tutt. The starters of champagne cocktails and light bites of goat cheese and vegan wrapped parcels made way for a superb fish pie, there was also a pork and vegan option.
Kenny’s mini dessert treats along with an alcoholic hot chocolate made and served by Chief Booze Engineer Patrick J Hobbs from Camm and Hooper completed a very unique dining experience – and all from the comfort of the DFS living and dining areas within the Staying Inn.
And afterwards we got the chance to hear all about the research carried out by DFS that cements the fact that staying in really is the new going out! ‘Hometainment’ is where it’s at.
Staying In is the New Going Out – What I learnt:
- 56% of those questioned said that ‘when it comes to the weekend they prefer a good night in over a good night out’.
- 58% of people said ‘they are going ‘out out’ significantly less at weekends this year’.
- Over half questioned said they’re going to spend New Year’s Eve at home instead of going out to celebrate.
- A quarter of people said that they’d prefer to celebrate their Birthday at home.
- Almost 50% would prefer to spend a Saturday night in at home
- Almost one fifth of us ‘are even opting to spend date nights at home’.
- And if you thought these figures reflect a generational divide you’d be wrong because – ‘more almost two-thirds (61%) of millennials are going out less, compared to the national average of 54%’.
View this post on Instagram
Another room from last nights Staying Inn with @dfs in London – styled by @2lgstudio at @tannerandco : I’d live there. Really. : : #dfsnightin #dfs #interiorinspiration #designlovers: #interiordesign #furnituredesign : : : The Life of Stuff – An Award-Winning Irish Culture, Travel and Lifestyle Blog. : #TheLifeofStuff
And for those who do prefer to stay in –
- ‘63% of people feel that décor is an important factor when entertaining at home, and one in three of us decorate with guests in mind’.
- To help get the look we want – ‘over a third of us (38%) take our interiors inspiration directly from bars, restaurants and hotels’.
- 55% of us have ‘ditched the ‘big light’ and have opted for more mood lighting’.
- One third of us opt for brighter bolder colours around the home.
- 36% of us have ditched the three-piece matching suite in favour of an eclectic collection of furniture.
- And one in five have been inspired to introduce plush upholstery such as velvet into their homes – which brings me on to the question I asked Jordan and Russell when it came to question time …
So apart from my question about the next big thing – it’s all about textures folks, my big question for the guys gave me the answer I had wanted. Velvet couch in the living room in a home with two littles aged one and three, yay or nay? Their answer was to go for it! That the velvet material is strong and durable, and that it’s important for children to get used to having nice things. My sentiments exactly, so watch this space folks!
In Ireland you’ll find your nearest DFS in Blanchardstown, Carrickmines, Cork, Mahon, and Limerick. DFS delivers nationwide – www.dfs.ie.
Fancy kick-starting the Festive Season in a stylish and giving style then take note of the Gaff Interiors Christmas Pop-Up Experience with DFS supported by Tesco finest* at Dublin’s Studio 10 on Saturday November 24th and Sunday November 25th. Tickets cost €12 and all proceeds go to the Peter McVerry Trust.
*Please note that all prices in this post are correct at time of publishing but may change so please check your local store or the DFS site.
- Baking with Kids – Super Simple Cake Pops Recipe - October 24, 2020
- Top 15 Horror Movies from 2006 – 2020. 15 Years 15 Horror Movies - October 22, 2020
- A Heavenly Afternoon Pamper at Revive Garden Spa Athy, Kildare - October 14, 2020