Electric Picnic – Friday August 31st – Sunday September 2nd, Stradbally, Co. Laois
It’s that time of year again, Electric Picnic time, and the festival will be kicking off tomorrow, although I’m sure some have made their way there tonight for a bit of guitar playing, boozing and craic, not crack … although ?!?
Anyhoo, I’m not going.
But I’d love to go! …
… Bopping about like a dizzy fairy for three days, soaking in the rays, of sun that is, it’s meant to be a scorcher – which will probably make it the only Big Budget Festival in Ireland or the Uk to get good weather this summer … Loosing a half stone from only eating half a burger all weekend but gaining a stone from all the cheap cans of beer and that bottle of tequila bought from Tesco’s on the way to the gig but not caring whether you do or not because you’re in festival mode and gear … Managing to get 22 people into your tent for a sing-a-long at 4.30 in the morning … Loosing your hoody but gaining a new best friend … Seeing the sunrise three mornings in a row … And that’s not even mentioning what happens outside the campside! … Not even mentioning the bands and singers and entertainers and and and …. but what it boils down to is that unless someone miraculously gives me a couple of tickets and some spending money, it’s not going to happen.
So to make myself even more miserable I decided to pick which bands/acts I would go see if I was to miraculously be given a couple of tickets and spending money … I don’t even need a tent! Who sleeps anyhoo?
So here it goes, here are my choices, disagree as you may, … why not let me know
Friday 31st August
- 15.45 – 16.30 > Would probably bop about between stages/arenas*
- 17.00 – 18.00 > Grandaddy at the Electric Arena
- 18.00 – 18.30 > I’d go to the Main Stage to catch the last 30 mins of Alabama Shakes
- 18.30 – 19.30 > Grizzly Bear at the Electric Arena
- The next is a toss up between 20.00 – 21.00 The Maccabees at the Electric Arena or 19.45 – 20.45 Metronomy at the Crawdaddy Stage. It would probably depend on my mood, or I might try catch some of both.
- 21.00 – 22.00 > The xx on the Main Stage
- 22.30 – 00.00 > Sigor Ros on the Main Stage
- Split between Donal Dineen’s Parish with Aminah Dastan, Niwel Tsumba and guests at Body & Soul 00.00 – 03.30 and Matador 01.00 – 02.00 at the Little Big Tent
Saturday 1st September
- Would probably bop about between stages/arenas*
- 15.15 – 16.00 > The Cast of Cheers on the Cosby Stage
- 15.45 – 16.30 > Delorentos on the Crawdaddy Stage (may have to miss first 15 mins or may not … it would depend on the day)
- 17.00 – 18.00 > David Kitt plays The Big Romance on the Crawdaddy Stage
- 18.00 – 19.00 > Crystal Castles on the Main Stage
- 19.00 – 20.00 > Probably Richard Hawley but not too sure … would probably want to bop at Casa Barcardi or Body & Soul
- 20.00 – 21.00 > Patti Smith & her band on the Crawdaddy Stage, unfortunately I wouldn’t get to see the Villagers set from 20.45 – 21.45
- 21.00 – 00.00 > The Cure on the Main Stage
- 23.30 – 00.30 > Bell x1 on the Crawdaddy Stage, obviously missing the first 30 mins
- 00.45 – 02.15 > Orbital on the Main Stage
- Split between Le Galaxie 02.00 – 03.00 at the Little Big Tent and Jesse Boykins III 02.30 – 03.30 at Body & Soul
Sunday 2nd September
- 12.15 – 12.45 > Riptide Movement at the Electric Arena
- 12.45 – 14.15 > Would probably bop about between stages/arenas*
- 14.15 – 15.00 > Ryan Sheridan at the Electric Arena
- 14.45 – 16.00 > Lee “Scratch” Perry & Max Romeo on the Main Stage
- 16.00 – 16.45 > Of Monsters and Men on the Crawdaddy Stage
- 16.54 – 18.15 > Would probably bop about between stages/arenas*
- 18.15 – 19.15 > Bombay Bicycle Club
- 20.00 – 21.30 > Elbow on the Main Stage
- 22.15 – 23.45 > The Killers on the Main Stage which I would probably cut short to see …
- 23.00 – 00.00 > Hot Chip at the Electric Arena
- 00.00 – 01.00 > Junior Boys at Body & Soul
- 01.30 – 02.30 > When Saints Go Machine
- 03.00 – 04.00 > Mmoths
*when I say bop about between stages I mean in front of stages not hiding between them like a weirdo … what I really mean is … is that I’d check out different bands/acts etc
Sounds like a plan … batman or should I say idea … but some ideas not planned are the best actioned and spontaneity is probably the best policy. There is a chance I’d miss half the bands earlier in the day because of the mighty craic in the campside, there’s a chance I could loose my shoes or get trapped inside a portaloo … the thing is I’ll never know … boo hoo!
Click here for a copy of the Electric Picnic Timetable 2012 in pdf format
Don’t Forget ↓
- Galway Comedy Festival 2021 – 5 Radiant Reasons to Go - September 16, 2021
- Jenkinstown Wood, Kilkenny – Whimsical Walks and Wonderment - September 12, 2021
- Sustainable Living – 6 Essential Hacks for a Clean Healthy Home - September 3, 2021