Yes Equality 2015 and Forever More!
The Life of Stuff is far from a political blog but it is a personal blog and the outcome of the impending Marriage Equality Referendum is something I hold quite dear to my heart and in my mind is quite personal. I’m not here to tell you why you should vote Yes but I will give the reason why I will be voting Yes when Friday May 22nd comes along.
Yes I have LBGTQ (Lesbian, Bi-Sexual, Gay, TransGender, Questioning) friends who I believe should have as much a right to marry their loved one, just as Patrick and I did, and this does play a big part in my vote however the main reason for me to vote Yes is for the next generation and the one after that. Our country of Ireland has been in the news for all the wrong reasons over the past years. We’ve shown the world on occasions that we don’t know what the word Equality means when it comes to money, wealth, economics – what with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. I want to live in a country that understands the word Equality when it comes to Love. I want our children and our children’s’ children to understand it.
The Marriage Equality Referendum seeks to insert a new sentence into the Constitution: “Marriage may be contracted in accordance with law by two persons without distinction as to their sex”
- Marriage matters to Irish society, it is the secure foundation for loving committed couples, and everyone in our families, communities and country should be free to marry on those terms.
- As it currently stands, lesbian and gay couples cannot get married and do not have equal status under our Constitution. This amendment will guarantee constitutional equality for lesbian and gay citizens.
- Allowing lesbian and gay people get married just like everyone else will take from no one and will have no effect on anyone else’s marriage.
- Irish People are fair-minded, welcoming and confident. This referendum is about making our laws reflect those values.
- Mothers and fathers want all of their children to grow up in a country where they can have the same aspirations in life. The parents of gay and lesbian children want the same. Nobody wants second best for their child.
- Civil partnership was a significant advance and couples across every county in Ireland have entered civil partnerships. However, civil partnership falls short of full constitutional equality. Only civil marriage equality can achieve this.
- Voting yes in the Marriage Equality Referendum will be saying yes to marriage, yes to equality and yes to strengthening Irish society. ‘ (yesequality.ie)
If you are in support of the Yes Vote – You may be seeing lots on Facebook, Twitter and the likes about the Yes Vote but don’t leave it to chance that it will be victorious – Make sure you vote on May 22nd!
Check to see you are registered here – www.checktheregister.ie
If not registered download the RFA2 form and if you have changed address download the RFA3 form from vote.ie – you will have to get the RFA2 form stamped at your local Garda Station (bring your passport as ID) and get your completed forms sent to your City or County Council or your local TD’s Office can help you too.
Here is some of the feedback on the Yes Vote I have received …
A successful yes vote would mean that I could be recognised in the same way that any other person would be. Gay, straight, bisexual, transgender – whatever it may be – it would mean equality and equality for everyone!’ (Andrew, Dublin)
Voting Yes for sure. Being honest it doesn’t affect me directly but in a general sense I want my daughter to know a society where such rights and equality are an unspoken given and not up for debate’ (Ed, Dublin)
I’m an old man now but I’m voting Yes for my grandchildren’ (John, Kildare)
I have a dream that one day a man or woman should be judged not by the person that they love but by the context of their character’ (Patrick, Dublin)
Don’t Forget ↓
- Five Fabulous Reasons to Visit Belfast City - October 10, 2021
- Roasted Cinnamon and Chilli Pumpkin Seeds Recipe - October 10, 2021
- The Ultimate Guide to Brilliant Binge-Worthy TV Shows - October 10, 2021