Cabbage Soup with Parsley Croutons
I’ve been growing my own food, and not just my usual windowsill herbs such as parsley, I’ve been growing lots of vegetables. In particular cabbage, swiss chard, spring onions, carrots and potatoes. It all started in November, when I purchased a Vegepod. And since then my little family and I have been reaping the rewards. One of my latest harvests was delicious dark green cabbage called pixie cabbage. We’ve enjoyed it steamed, buttered, fried – I’ll share the best recipe for that soon, and as a cabbage soup. I’ve also frozen portions of cabbage for future use.
How to Freeze Cabbage: Wash, stem and chop your cabbage. Blanch in salt water for five minutes – let the cabbage cool and then freeze. Blanching cleanses the cabbage and helps it keep its flavour, colour and texture.
The following cabbage soup is a hearty dish, that could easily be called a cabbage stew. The parsley croutons are crunchy and the prefect addition. Enjoy this dish all year round – but especially on cooler days when you feel like some heart warming healthy goodness. There’s a bit of prep involved when it comes to the cabbage, as I like to stem, wash and blanch the leaves before adding it to the dish. But otherwise its a very simple potato and onion based soup. In fact its so simple and tasty – you could enjoy it without the cabbage! Or adapt it to what ever vegetables you love, or have in your kitchen.
Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 1 white onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 – 2 celery sticks – depending on size
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Small bunch of parsley
- 550g potatoes, washed, peeled, cut into small cubes
- 1l vegetable stock or you can use chicken stock
- 200g cabbage – I grew pixie cabbage, but you can use your favourite – savoy is a great choice.
- Wash, stem and slice the cabbage – then blanch for 5 mins in salted water, drain and put aside.
- Chop the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a food processor. Or finely if you don’t have a processor.
- Add the olive oil to a large cooking pot/saucepan and set to a medium heat.
- Add the vegetables and cubed potatoes and season well, then cover the pot and reduce the heat.
- Gently cook for about 5 mins – until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the stock, turn up the heat and bring to the boil.
- Simmer until all the vegetables tender – between 5-10 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking – get your crunchy parsley croutons ready – the recipe is below.
- Just before you’re ready to serve the soup – give it a whizz in the food processor or with a hand blender until completely smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and add the cabbage.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the cabbage is heated and tender.
- Check for seasoning and serve with croutons. Delicious!
Crunchy Parsley Croutons
This recipe was adapted from a Gordon Ramsey recipe on BBC Good Food. He recommends goose fat but I chose vegetable oil, it was 100% rapeseed oil.
- 100ml vegetable oil – I used rapeseed oil.
- 200g bread, cut into small cubes – I used a couple of crusts, some call them heels!
- Small bunch of parsley, chopped.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium/high heat.
- Add the cubed bread and chopped parsley.
- Turn the croutons and fry until golden brown and crunchy.
- Take from the heat and place on kitchen paper to soak up the extra oil.
- Season well and keep them warm before serving. But keep them uncovered to prevent them from going soft.
- Add to you soup and enjoy!
PIN – Delicious Hearty Cabbage Soup with Parsley Croutons Recipe:
- Delicious Hearty Cabbage Soup with Parsley Croutons Recipe - June 29, 2020
- Visit Kildare – 10 Fabulous Free Reasons to Get Outdoors - June 20, 2020
- The Food & Drink Series – with Food & Travel Journalist Veruska Anconitano - June 18, 2020