FÁILTE IRELAND LAUNCHES PÚCA FESTIVAL 2022 PROGRAMME FOR HALLOWEEN
Four Nights of Music, Fire, Myth and Mischief
Celebrating Ireland as the origin of Halloween in
Trim and Athboy in Co. Meath from 28th to 31st October 2022
Returning to Co. Meath from Friday 28th to Monday 31st October 2022 across the two festival hubs of Trim and Athboy, Púca Festival 2022 promises to be an authentic, immersive and otherworldly festival that celebrates Ireland as the birthplace of Halloween.
Now in its third year, Púca Festival 2022 has been developed by Fáilte Ireland, in partnership with Meath County Council, to tell the origin story of Samhain or ‘Summer’s End’.
The festival was devised to encourage more international visitors to visit Ireland during the months of October and November, and to encourage domestic visitors to explore different regions of Ireland too.
Working in partnership with Irish artists, seanchaí storytellers, and the local community Púca Festival 2022 will showcase the best in contemporary Irish music, spectacle, and performance.
PÚCA FESTIVAL 2022
The Arrival of Spirits Samhain Procession in Trim kicks off the festival on Saturday, 29th October in spectacular fashion as it weaves its way through the dark streets of Trim towards Trim Castle. Expect to witness large-scale processional pieces, music, fire, and performances. Dress up and make your own mask for the occasion – and join in the fun!
After this grand opening look forward to the following
- The Púca Big Top Stage in Trim for headline acts including, Imelda May, Gavin James, The Academic, King Kong Company and Block Rockin Beats, Lisa Hannigan and Cathy Davey.
- Comedy stages featuring comedy favourites such as David O’Doherty, Joanne McNally, Neil Delamere and Jason Byrne.
- The Morrigan Stage at Trim Castle Hotel will feature the Blindboy Live Podcast Show, Jerry Fish Electric Sideshow, Davina Devine – The Queens of Halloween Spooktacular with Mother DJs, and a late-night party at the Púca Festival Club.
- The Darnley Lodge Hotel Athboy will host live performances from The High Kings and the Dublin City Ramblers – 50th Anniversary Celebration Tour
- At Trim Castle, the Boann Stage will feature free ticketed events with the talented Sharon Shannon, Seo Linn, and much more.
- Driven by a passion for folklore and mythology, Candlelit Tales at the Morrigan Stage in Trim Castle Hotel will be breathing life into old stories, for young and old, in keeping with Ireland’s wonderful storytelling heritage.
- Food lovers will rejoice at the Jack O’Lantern Harvest Market taking place in Trim Castle across the weekend.
- On the Fairgreen in Athboy, an all-ages Irish-themed Celtic Voyage Circus will delight families, while after dark the Samhain Circus celebrates the creme de la creme of creepy cabaret, hair-raising high wire acts and sideshow elements, fire performances, and much more.
- The Fairgreen in Athboy and Hill of Ward will host this year’s celebration of Samhain, with a living historical village, walking tours, processions and spectacle, and exciting surprises.
- The Irish language is celebrated within the festival programme, and a wonderful array of local traditional Irish musicians will be playing throughout the weekend.
- Cartoon Saloon, 7-time Academy, Golden Globe, BAFTA, and Emmy nominated animated studio will create spectacular projections at Púca Festival to tell the story of Ireland as the original birthplace of Halloween which began as Samhain over 2000 years ago.
Festivals are crucial to the tourism sector, motivating over 200,000 overseas visitors to come to Ireland and contributing €108m to the economy every year. Púca Festival aims to position Ireland internationally as the home of Halloween and will build on existing work already taking place in Ireland’s Ancient East to tell the region’s ancient story. Púca’s distinctive programme of events has something for everyone and we are looking forward to seeing it being brought to life in October. Working in partnership with Meath County Council, Fáilte Ireland is committed to developing Púca into a world-class festival that positions Ireland as the home of Halloween internationally over the next number of years.”
– Orla Carroll, Director of Product Development in Fáilte Ireland
- Tickets on sale now, with free events also programmed visit www.pucafestival.com
PIN: Púca Festival 2022 – Halloween at Trim and Athboy Co. Meath
- 10 Things to Do in Ireland on a Rainy Day: Budget-Friendly - February 20, 2024
- The Ultimate Guide to Food and Drink Festivals Ireland 2024 - January 25, 2024
- The Ultimate Guide to Art and Culture Festivals Ireland 2024 - January 24, 2024