From Overripe Bananas to Banana Bread
Cutting Back on Food Waste
I detest food wastage but understand that it’s quite easy to be wasteful. Best before dates, use by dates and the appearance of food all add to your foods edibility clock. However as easy as it is to be wasteful with food that has surpassed its edible peak, it’s also very very easy to make the most of this same food.
Take for example your fruit and vegetables, how about;
- a slow cooked stew made with the remains of your carrots, potatoes and onions.
- a Ratatouille made with aubergine, courgette and those leftover peppers.
- stewed apples and pears for your porridge in the morning.
- and with those overripe bananas? – make Banana Bread!
This recipe is so easy to rustle up and the results will have you coming back for more. You need little when it comes to ingredients and you don’t need to garnish it with anything for it to be delicious and moreish.
A Simple Banana Bread Recipe
- 3 or 4 ripe or overripe bananas – mashed
- 340g of all-purpose flour
- 75g/75ml of melted butter
- 225g of sugar
- One egg – beaten
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 175°C, 345°F or Gas mark 3.
- In a large mixing bowl and using a wooden spoon, mix the butter into the mashed banana.
- Mix in the sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in.
- Add the flour last and mix.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered 4×8 inch loaf tin.
- Bake for one hour.
- Cool on a rack.
- Sprinkle some icing sugar over the banana bread. Or even better, drizzle some water/glaze icing over it! (optional).
- Enjoy (mandatory).
Sustainable Living Baking Tip: When I was a child, I remember my mother saving the butter wrapper, folding it neatly and keeping it in the fridge for the next time she needed to grease a pan or tin for baking. And years and years later, I do the same thing myself. It’s so handy, you just place it buttery side down onto the pan and rub it all over. A great way to use, reuse and get the most out of your food and packaging.
For more simple but tasty recipes visit our recipe page here.
PIN A Simple Banana Bread Recipe:
- A Luxury Family Stay at Four-Star The Harbour Hotel Galway - July 25, 2021
- Beauty Fix – Urban Decay Naked Wild West Eyeshadow Palette - July 1, 2021
- Family Bathroom Renovation – My Fantastic Forest Bathroom – Before & After - July 1, 2021