Healthy Recipe – Courgetti Spaghetti with Pine Nuts, Spinach and Feta
The principle of Yin and Yang is that all things exist as inseparable and contradictory opposites, for example, female-male, dark-light and old-young.’
… healthy and not-so-healthy (but delicious) … could be another example, when it comes to food, don’t you think?
Well on that thought – as I’ve featured a delicious but CHEEKY Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake Recipe, and a tasty but HEALTHY Chocolate Kidney Bean Cake Recipe here on The Life of Stuff. It’s about time I Yin-Yang my pasta based recipes! – I’ve featured a Swiss Chard, Spring Onion and Parmesan Pasta Recipe (which isn’t actually too bold) and A Moreish Meaty or Meaty Meat-Free Lasagne Recipe (which can be very bold depending how liberal you are with your cheese) – so now it’s time for a HEALTHY pasta recipe … and this recipe is not only healthy, but it’s simple and more importantly it’s delicious – so much so, I enjoy it at least once a week.
Courgetti Spaghetti with Pine Nuts, Spinach and Feta Recipe
You can enjoy this Courgetti Spaghetti with Pine Nuts, Spinach and Feta Recipe with or without meat. The meat recommended is pork in the shape of ‘cubed smoked lardons, pancetta or diced bacon’ – but I actually use Serrano Ham when cooking this dish as it seems to be the most easily available in our supermarket of late – and it works really well, so I can recommend it.
Courgetti Spaghetti Ingredients – Serves 2
- 80g Dried Whole Wheat Spaghetti
- 1 Large Courgette – trimmed and spiralised
- 20g Pine Nuts
- 50g Cubed Smoked Lardons or Pancetta, Diced Bacon or torn Serrano Ham
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 150g Young/Baby Spinach Leaves
- 80g Feta
Courgetti Spaghetti Method
- Half fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the spaghetti, return to the boil and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until tender. Add the spiralised courgette and stir together quickly, then immediately strain through a colander, and run very briefly under a cold tap.
- Meanwhile, place the pine nuts and ‘lardons’ in a non-stick saucepan with half the oil and fry over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly until lightly browned. Tip out onto a plate and return the pan to the heat.
- Add the remaining oil and spinach and cook over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes, or until the spinach is soft, stirring regularly. Crumble two thirds of the feta over the top, season and cook until the feta melts, making a creamy coating for the spinach.
- Return the spaghetti and courgetti to their saucepan, add the spinach and feta sauce and, using two forks. toss together well over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Divide between two shallow bowls, crumble the remaining feta over the top and sprinkle with the ‘lardons’ and pine nuts.
This recipe can be found in ‘The Fast 800 Recipe Book‘ by Dr Claire Bailey and Justine Pattison (you can see it featured in the ingredients photograph above the ‘finished dish’ photo below).
I’m not following a Fast 800 diet, but as I have been more mindful of my diet in recent months, and especially since I moved from pescatarian to ‘flexitarian’ – I’ve taken great cooking and baking inspiration from the recipes in these books – because just like this ‘courgetti spaghetti’ recipe which is 461 cals per serving, I find the recipes, varied, simple, packed full of fresh ingredients, low in carbs and high in tastiness.
For more easy-to-follow recipes for all the family to enjoy visit The Life of Stuff Recipe Page
PIN: Courgetti Spaghetti with Pine Nuts, Spinach and Feta Recipe
- Ballycross Apple Farm Wexford – Picking Apples and Playtime - September 30, 2022
- Exploring Celtic Heritage at Brigit’s Garden Galway - September 30, 2022
- WIN Two Tickets to Red Bull SoundClash Dublin RDS Oct 2022 - September 30, 2022