A Super Simple but Delicious Irish Beef Stew Recipe
Last Christmas I ditched my pescatarian way of life because I fancied turkey and ham for Christmas dinner. And I have absolutely no regrets, my conscious almost clear as we went local and freerange. The only thing that bothered me was trying to remember what I’d dined on for Christmas dinner all those years previously.
Since then I’ve dabbled in a little more meat. To Patrick’s dismay this ‘dabbling’ has not been to the extent of a coddle, just yet, but the odd meat dish including this one pot oven cooked Irish Beef Stew. Traditionally this dish is cooked on the hob, but nowadays on cold wintery days – we plop all the ingredients together into our Le Creuset Dutch Oven and slow cook it in the oven for 2 – 2.5 hours. It’s simple, hearty, tasty and if you’ve any left – it tastes even better on day two. Serve with buttered homemade brown bread, or crusty rolls, sliced white bread or just as it is.
Use whatever deep pan oven dish you have as long as it has a cover. We source the majority of our vegetables locally (I really do recommend finding a local grower for fresh seasonal produce) and our meat from our local butcher. And when we can’t do either of these, our local supermarkets are always stocked.
Irish Beef Stew Recipe
- 500g of lean steak pieces
- 1500g white potatoes – peeled and chopped
- One large or two small white onions – cubed
- Three medium sized carrots – cubed
- 200g turnip – cubed
- 200g celeriac – cubed
- 60g Pearl Barley
- 1.25l Beef Stock (we use 2 beef stock cubes + 1 Vegetable stock cube + 2 tbsp of gravy granules)
- Ensure the steak pieces are cut to bite-sized pieces.
- Add all the washed, chopped and cubed vegetables to your deep oven dish and mix.
- Add the steak pieces and pearl barley.
- Pour in the beef stock.
- Cover and place in the middle of your oven 180° Fan | 200° Conv | 400° F | Gas 6
- Cook for 2-2.5 hours.
- Stir from time to time.
- Serve and enjoy!
PIN: Delicious 1 Pot Oven Cooked Irish Beef Stew Recipe
- 13 Secrets of People Who Are Never Stressed - December 1, 2023
- 10 of the Best Irish Beaches for Scenic Winter Walks - November 29, 2023
- Discover Asia with Your Family: 8 Popular Places to Explore - November 29, 2023