Odlums Rock Buns
I baked these for my sister and her Fiancé a couple of weeks ago when they popped in to say hi. They were served with butter, strawberry jam and freshly whipped cream and they went down a treat.
I didn’t add mixed dried fruit but instead added the same amount in plain California raisins/sultanas. My mixture was also wet enough not to add any milk. The recipe didn’t say how many it makes but I made six medium sized buns.
They were really light buns, and their texture was very crumbly which I have to say I worried about as soon as I served them. But my sister pointed out how they really complimented the jam and cream as otherwise she felt they might have been too heavy. She’s probably right. They taste really good but they can be messy so be warned there’ll be plenty of finger licking.
- 225g/8oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
- 125g/4oz Margarine or Butter
- 75g/3oz Caster Sugar
- 125g/4oz Mixed Dried Fruit (to include candied peel)
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons of Milk
- Granulated Sugar for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly grease a baking tray.
- Sieve flour into a bowl and add the margarine or butter. Rub into the flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and dried fruit and mix well.
- Finally, add the egg and milk and mix thoroughly to give a stiff dough.
- Using two forks, lift up small portions of the mixture and place on the baking sheet about an inch and a half apart. The buns should be rough looking, do not smooth them down.
- Shake a little sugar on top of each bun and place in the pre heated oven for 10 to15 minutes until golden brown. Leave on tin for about five minutes, then transfer to a wire tray to cool.
Original recipe can be found on Odlums.ie here.
Step by Step in Photos
For more Simple but Delicious Recipes Visit our Recipe Page