Pumpkin Seeds are Good for You!
Pumpkins are usually harvested in Ireland during the months of September and October. And so it’s around this time of year you’ll find them gracing the shelves of the grocery section at your local supermarket. Fancy picking your own? Well you can do just that at a number of farms and gardens around the country. Most people purchase pumpkins to create Jack-o’-lanterns, and discard of the pumpkin flesh and seeds inside but there are numerous reasons why you should definitely not dump them! And roasting pumpkin seeds is only one great reason! You’ll understand when you try this roasted pumpkin seed recipe below.
Did you know?
… that roasted pumpkin seed are packed full of nutritional benefits? Not only do pumpkin seeds make for super satisfying healthy snacks because of their protein and fibre qualities. But they’re packed full of magnesium, which is great for muscles and bones. And as they contain phytosterol, they can help lower cholesterol.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds with Cinnamon and Chilli Recipe
- Fresh pumpkin seeds
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Ground Cinnamon
- Crushed Chili Flakes
Method Step by Step
1. Scrape the seeds from your pumpkin using a spoon – in fact depending on the size of the pumpkin you can actually use your hand too.
2. Once you have all your pumpkins seeds together, pull away the stringy pumpkin flesh or guts as we like to call it – a suitable name when it comes to Halloween.
3. Wash the pumpkin seeds in cold water to get rid of any last remaining pumpkin flesh.
4. Spread them out on a baking tray.
5. Gather your flavours together.
6. Sprinkle the sea salt, ground cinnamon and crushed chilli flakes on top – this is all to taste
7. Lightly pour some olive oil over the seeds.
8. Using a spoon, mix the seeds so that they’re covered in the oil, salt, cinnamon and chili flakes. The spread out flat – one layer only.
9. Bake at 180°C/350°F/gas 4 for around 15 minutes or when they start to get that golden colour.
10. Leave to cool, store in an airtight container or jar and enjoy your deliciously flavoured roasted pumpkin seeds whenever you like!
For more easy to follow recipes visit The Life of Stuff Recipe Page.
Latest posts by Edwina O'Connor (see all)
- The Ultimate Guide to Art and Culture Festivals in Ireland 2020 - January 18, 2020
- Really Easy Irish Shortbread Cookie Recipe - January 14, 2020
- 30 of the Best St Patrick’s Day Festivals – Around Ireland and the World - January 13, 2020