A Lasagne Recipe for All the Family
Lasagne was definitely a family favourite when I was growing up. And now that I have my own wee family to cook for it has become a family favourite in our home too. There are a number of recipes for lasagne but the basic ingredients of tomatoes, lasagne sheets and Bechamel Sauce (white sauce) make most recipes similar. The thing about lasagne is that you can switch it up after you follow a recipe – adding or subtracting what you do or don’t like. For example this recipe is perfect if you like eating meat, or if you are going meat-free but want that meaty ragu style dish. In actual fact we usually do the later.
- Read through the ingredients and method before you start to ensure you have everything you need.
- Check out the ‘meat’ options highlighted in the ingredients section.
- Homemade Bechamel or white sauce is the best – but if you’re stuck on time, or indeed milk, a premade shop-bought jar will do absolutely fine.
- It looks like a lorra lorra steps but I’ve broken them down so it’s easy to follow.
- If you have some left over which is doubtful. Or if you’re cooking in advance you can freeze the lasagne as one or as portions. Just make sure it’s completely cold first, then store it in an airtight container and freeze. It should last up to three months.
For more of our family favourites visit:
- 8 Steps to a Delicious Chinese Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- Delicious 1 Pot Oven Cooked Irish Beef Stew Recipe
- Delicious Hearty Cabbage Soup with Parsley Croutons Recipe
- Swiss Chard, Spring Onion and Parmesan Pasta Recipe
- A Super Simple Tasty Tomato & Basil Oven Cooked Rice Recipe
A Moreish Meaty or Meaty Meat-Free Lasagne Recipe
Meaty (Ragu Style) Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- salt and pepper seasoning (I use milled sea salt and ground black pepper)
- 500g of minced beef (or 500g of Quorn Mince or equivalent) (or 250g minced and 250g minced pork)
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 200ml beef stock
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp Soy sauce (optional)
- Pack of lasagne sheets (9-12 sheets will be needed but it does depend on the size of your baking dish. You’re aiming for at least three lasagne layers)
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- 100g Cheddar, grated (or 100g of mozzarella, shredded is delicious too)
White Sauce Ingredients:
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 550ml milk
- salt and pepper seasoning
Meaty Ragu Style Sauce – Method
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over a low heat. Fry the onion, carrot, and garlic for about five minutes, or until they have softened.
- Add the mince and fry on a medium heat until cooked through.
- Turn up the heat a little and add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, Soy sauce and seasoning and simmer for about 15 mins, or until the liquid has reduced.
- As the meaty sauce is cooking get ready to make the white sauce.
White Sauce (Bechamel Sauce) – Method
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the flour until it’s paste-like. This is what’s called a roux.
- Place back on the low heat and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from the heat again and gradually whisk in the milk until you have a loose sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return to a gentle heat and whisk constantly until the sauce thickens. Then remove from the heat immediately.
Building & Cooking Your Lasagne – Method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C Fan (200°C or gas mark 6)
- Prepare to layer the lasagne in a baking dish – meaty ragu style sauce | lasagne sheets | white sauce – mentally divide them all by three for three layers.
- Start with the meaty sauce, top with the lasagne sheets, then the white sauce. Repeat two more times for three layers in total. Go more if you like!
- Top with the cheddar cheese (or mozzarella) and Parmesan.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 mins, until piping hot. You want it crisp with some bubbling around the sides. The edge portions are the best!
- Serve with salad or chunky chips.
PIN A Moreish Meaty or Meaty Meat-Free Lasagne Recipe
- The Fast 800 Chocolate Kidney Bean Cake – Simple & Tasty - January 20, 2022
- Beauty Routine Refresh – 5 Easy Ways To Care For Your Skin - January 18, 2022
- Champagne Afternoon Tea at InterContinental Dublin, 5-Star Luxury - January 13, 2022